From toilets to sewer lines, to showers and more – when it comes to your home plumbing needs, Tritan always has you covered! But, though plumbing is often a serious matter, we thought we’d shake things up a bit and share some fun and weird facts about plumbing that you may not have known. Check it out:
- Fact – The word “plumber” originated from the Latin word “plumbum,” which means lead.
- Fact – The flushing toilet was invented by John Harrington in 1596, thus, giving it the nickname “the John.”
- Fact – Al Moen invented the single-handle faucet to control hot and cold water in just one turn in 1939.
- Fact – More than $100,000 was spent on a study to determine whether the majority of the population refilled their toilet paper holder with a roll where the paper flap was in the front or back. They found that three out of four people preferred to put the flap in the front.
- Fact – If you have a leaky faucet in your kitchen or bathroom, if the leak drips at least twice per minute, you’re wasting a gallon of water each week! And, that adds up over time. So, don’t let these seemingly harmless drips go unrepaired; it’s best to fix them as soon as you find them (or notice a spike in your water bill).
- Fact – On average, a person will spend three whole years of their life sitting on a toilet! That comes to 1,095 days of your life!
- Fact – The Super Mario Brothers, Mario and Luigi, from the infamous video game, are plumbers.
- Fact – Toilets are flushed more times during the Super Bowl halftime show than at any other time during the year.
- Fact – A low flush system can actually save you more than 17,000 gallons of water each year. Just imagine how that could impact your water bill!
- Fact – Contrary to popular belief, no matter what hemisphere you flush a toilet in, the water can flow in either direction. It doesn’t just switch direction depending on your physical location.
- Fact – When asked what he would do if he had to live his life all over again, Albert Einstein said that he would have been a plumber. So, he was made an honorary member of the Plumbers and Steamfitters Union.
- Fact – In 1760, King George II of Great Britain died by falling off of a toilet.
- Fact – Before Ozzy Osbourne got into the music industry and become the legendary rocker that he is today, he was a plumber’s apprentice.
All fun aside, it’s important to keep your plumbing system in mind as you go about your normal maintenance routines. Your plumbing system is one of the most underrated systems in your home and one that people often don’t even consider until something goes wrong. Fortunately, that’s why we’re here! So, any time you find yourself in need of plumbing repair or assistance, or you’re just looking to schedule a routine maintenance check-up, remember that Tritan Plumbing is here for you.