Have you decided to remodel your bathroom? A nicely remodeled bathroom can provide you and your family years of satisfaction and comfort. It’s one of the most used rooms in your home, so you’ll want to make sure that you do it right. Otherwise, you’ll be faced with any number of problems for those same long years to come!
Bathrooms are tricky; there are a lot of moving parts that are all crammed into a tight space. Then, there’s the plumbing to consider and the volumes of water ready to take advantage of any and all leaks. It may seem a bit daunting at first, but if you know what you’re doing, and you follow a few simple do’s and don’ts, you’ll have your dream bathroom up and working in no time, whether you decide to do it yourself or hire a professional. Here are the basic rules of thumb:
- Set a budget – One of the biggest mistakes people make when remodeling is not setting a budget. If you’re on a tighter budget, the easiest way to save money in a remodel is to keep the general layout of your project the way that it is. Moving plumbing can be a hassle, not to mention the fastest way to drain your budget. Turn your focus, rather, to upgrading and relocating fixtures.
- Be prepared for the unexpected – It’s always best to prepare for the worst case scenario. A lot can happen during a remodel. Once you open up walls, you may find that your plumbing has leaks that you didn’t know about. If you go into your project prepared, however, the setback won’t quite so overwhelming.
- Choose efficient fixtures – Technology has developed in such a way that even our most basic bathroom essentials, like toilets, sinks, and shower heads are now more water efficient. If water conservation or money saving is on your mind, choose elements like low flow toilets or water-saving shower heads and faucets. A few small changes like these can make a major impact on the quality and value of your home.
- Choose the right light – Lighting is often overlooked when it comes to design, but it really is a key element that sets the tone of an entire space and improves functionality. Make sure that your remodel has a nice balance of both natural and artificial lighting.
- Move your plumbing – Unless this is absolutely unavoidable, it’s best to leave your plumbing lines as they are. Once you get into reworking the whole system, your budget will quickly go out the window, and you may not be able to finish your remodel.
- Skimp on the things you use most – There are a lot of ways to save money during a remodel, but things that you use most often, like faucets, fixtures, handles and hinges, shouldn’t be on the “super save” list.
- Buy products without research – Before you install anything new, always, always, always do your research! If you go out and just start buying, you may find that your new pieces either won’t work in your space or are unsatisfactory in quality.
- Follow fads – While the look of the day may be tempting, remember that in a couple of years, it will be dated and you may just find yourself regretting those design decisions. Instead, go for a classic, timeless look that everyone can enjoy for many years to come.
- Rush – Of course, you want your remodel to be completed as soon as possible, but take your time. You only want to have to do it once, so do it right the first time!
In addition to these do’s and don’ts, if you decide that you need to hire professional help, we have just one more tip for you – Do choose the right company to work with. Tritan Plumbing is here to help with all of your plumbing needs and to save you the hassle and stress of handling tough situations on your own. So, if you need a hand with your remodel, give us a call, and we’ll be there to answer all of your questions.